This website is intended to provide background and relevant documents related to the DC Department of Health Care Finance’s 2022 projects to expand coverage and benefits related to maternal health. If you are a District resident who is pregnant and currently receives health coverage through DHCF, please consult this page. If you are a District resident who is pregnant or may be pregnant and may be interested in DHCF health coverage, please consult this page.
The maternal health projects will be in the following three areas: 1) Coverage of doula services; 2) Expansion of postpartum coverage to one year; and 3) Extension of non-emergency medical transportation benefits to pregnant and postpartum Alliance beneficiaries.
The agency has formed a Maternal Health Advisory Group to get input from providers, beneficiaries or beneficiary advocates, doulas, and managed care organizations. The Maternal Health Advisory Group is convening the Postpartum and Mental Health Subgroup and the Doula Enrollment and Billing to provide input on specific items. For more information on the Maternal Health Advisory Group and its Subgroups, please see this letter, its roster or email [email protected].
All members of the public are encouraged to attend the fourth Maternal Health Advisory Group meeting on Monday, June 13, 11:00 am-12:30 pm. The meeting will focus othe agency’s draft of the State Plan Amendment to authorize doula services to collect stakeholder input on it and follow up on items from past meetings. To access the meeting through the computer, please use this link. To access the meeting through the phone, dial 202-594-9550 and then enter Phone Conference ID: 115 830 895#. Please note that accessing the Maternal Health Advisory Group meeting through the link is preferred due to audio issues and the ability to use the “Chat” function. You may find more information about the meeting here.
The agency held a Kickoff Meeting on December 14, 2021 to introduce stakeholders to upcoming agency action and provide notice of upcoming public meetings. The first meeting of the Maternal Health Advisory Group was held at 6 pm on January 31, 2022, the second meeting was held at 10:00 am on March 7, 2022, the third meeting was held at 1 pm on March 21, 2022, and the fourth meeting was held at 11 am on April 25, 2022. A meeting of the Postpartum and Mental Health Subgroup was held on April 18, 2022.. For more information on those meetings and recordings of those meetings, please see the documents below.
Interested parties may send written questions or comments on maternal health projects to Melisa Byrd, Senior Deputy Director/State Medicaid Director, Department of Health Care Finance, 441 4th Street, NW, Suite 900S, Washington, DC 20001, or via email at [email protected] or [email protected]. Comments will also be taken verbally and in the chat box at Maternal Health Advisory Group meetings.
For further information or to be contacted about agency action or future meetings related to maternal health, please contact [email protected].
- DHCF Slides 4.25.22 Maternal Health Advisory Group
- Recording of 4.25.22 Maternal Health Advisory Group Meeting
- Agenda for April 25 Maternal Health Advisory Group Meeting
- Slides Postpartum and Mental Health Subgroup 041822
- Recording Postpartum and Mental Health Subgroup 041822
- Agenda for 4.18.22 Subgroup Meeting
- Recording of 3.21.22 Advisory Group
- Slides 3.21.22 Advisory Group Meeting
- Agenda 3.21.22 Advisory Group Meeting
- Recording of the 3/7 Maternal Health Advisory Group Meeting
- Agenda Maternal Health Advisory Group Meeting 013122
- List of Maternal Health Advisory Group Members
- Slides Maternal Health Advisory Group 013122
- Recording of 1.31.22 Maternal Health Advisory Group Meeting
- Recording of the 12/14 Kickoff Meeting
- Public Notice of the 12/14 Kickoff Meeting
- Slides for the 12/14 Kickoff Meeting
- Medicaid Director Letter on the Maternal Health Advisory Group
- Public Notice of January 31st Maternal Health Advisory Group meeting