Together, we will build a health care system that meets the needs of all residents, attacks health disparities, and makes us more resilient for the challenges that lie ahead.
July 2021 Updates
- Mayor Bowser Announces Next Step in New Hospital at St. Elizabeths East, Submits Design to the United States Commission of Fine Arts for Review
- UHS Design Preview Slides - July 9, 2021 - PDF
- UHS Design Preview Slides - July 9, 2021 - PowerPoint
June 2020 Updates
Upcoming Hearing Information
Virtual Public hearing info - Tuesday, June 30, 2020, at 9 am
The Committee on Health is filing a revised notice for a Joint Public Hearing with the Committee on Business and Economic Development on Bill 23-0777, the “New Hospital at St. Elizabeths Act of 2020” and Bill 23-0778, the “New Howard University Hospital and Redevelopment Tax Abatement Act of 2020”. The hearing will be held on Tuesday, June 30, 2020, at 9:00 a.m., via Webex. Broadcast live on DC Council Channel 13 Streamed live at www.dccouncil.us and entertainment.dc.gov.
- B23-0777 - New Hospital at St. Elizabeths Act of 2020
- B23-0778 - New Howard University Hospital and Redevelopment Tax Abatement Act of 2020
Link to Full Proposed Agreement:
April 2020 Updates
View press release: Mayor Bowser Announces Agreements for Two New Hospitals to Bring Equity to DC’s Health Care System
View presentation: Building a Healthier, More Equitable DC
August 2018 Updates
Read the signed letter of intent between the District of Columbia Government and The George Washington University Hospital here.
Read the full announcement here.
Learn more about the partnership here.
Read Mayor Bowser's Op-Ed in the Washington Post here.
View the presentation on the new hospital from the September 25, 2018 Mayor Council Breakfast here.
Background. The District, through the Department of Health Care Finance, procured the services of Huron Consulting Group and Health Care Building Solutions, Inc., to establish a comprehensive plan to partner with a financially strong, high quality, regional healthcare partner to bring a sustainable, state-of-the-art hospital to the St. Elizabeths East Campus in Ward 8.
The District’s plan calls for a new hospital to serve all District residents – with a focus on the residents of Wards 7 and 8, an ambulatory care center, retail services, parking, medical office space and community partnerships that will establish a system of care to serve our communities and continue the progress we’ve made to develop the St. Elizabeths East campus.
Council Approves $325.8 million for Construction of a New Hospital, Along with Funding for Additional Projects at St. Elizabeths
*$25.8M added by Council for Project Labor Agreement. The fiscal year of these funds has not been identified.
Below is a list of studies and reports related to the New Hospital at St. Elizabeths East. The HBS and Huron reports should be read together.
Healthcare Building Solutions (HBS): Assessment of Options for New Hospital Size, Location, Site Design and Construction Costs
- Executive Summary (March 2018) – Hospital Size Assessment, Preliminary Construction Budget and Schedule
- Full Report (March 2018) - Hospital Size Assessment, Preliminary Construction Budget and Schedule
- Mayor Bowser Press Release Announcing HBS Site Selection (September 5, 2017) .
- HBS Executive Summary (September 2017) - Site Selection Study
- HBS Full Report (September 2016) – Site Evaluation and Selection Study and Recommendations
Huron Consulting Group: A New Hospital at St. Elizabeths East
- Huron - Executive Summary (March 2018) – A New Hospital at St. Elizabeths East - Analysis of a Financially Stable, Integrated Medical Campus and Ambulatory Pavilion
- Huron - Full Summary Report (March 2018)– A New Hospital at St. Elizabeths East - Analysis of a Financially Stable, Integrated Medical Campus and Ambulatory Pavilion
- Huron - Press Release – DHCF Announces Contract Award to Huron for Professional Health Care Services in Support of Planning for a New Hospital East of the River (May 15, 2017).
Other Related Documents
- District of Columbia Health Systems Plan, Department of Health (July 2017)
- Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development - St Elizabeths East Campus Redevelopment
- Photo Gallery – Draft Renderings
* Note: In order to protect the confidentiality and proprietary nature of select analysis and information contained within, the reports have been modified accordingly.
Olivia Dedner, Communications Director, Office of the City Administrator
Sward Tondoneh, Communications Director, Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services