Be rewarded for providing great care and utilizing your electronic health record (EHR) system!
As part of the 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment (ARRA) Act, The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) established the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. The DC Medicaid EHR incentive Program (MEIP) has rewarded hundreds of District providers who have adopted, implemented, upgraded, or demonstrated Meaningful Use (MU) of certified EHR technology in ways that improve quality, safety, and effectiveness of patient-centered care.
Doctors, Dentists, Nurse Practitioners and Certified Nurse Midwifes who treat a minimum percentage of Medicaid beneficiaries are eligible to participate in the incentive program. Eligible professionals may receive up to $63,750 (over a six-year period) upon demonstrating meaningful use of federally Certified Electronic Health Records (CEHRT) as part of the Medicaid Electronic Health Record Incentive Payment Program (MEIP).
On October 16, 2015, CMS published in the Federal Register the new Final Rule titled, CMS EHR Incentive Program Stage 3 and Modifications to Meaningful Use in 2015 through 2017. This Final Rule addresses the most recent requirements for the incentive program for both Eligible Professionals (EPs) and Eligible Hospitals (EH).
DC Medicaid EHR Incentive Program Results
The District originally launched the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program (MEIP) in 2013. Enrollment in the program has gradually increased and the following payments have been made to DC Medicaid eligible providers:
|Eligible Professionals||Eligible Hospitals|
*updated February 2018
Program Year 2017 Update: DHCF is transitioning to a new state level registry (SLR) system to receive Medicaid EHR Incentive Payment attestations. As such, Program Year 2017 will not open until further notice. Each provider will have adequate time to attest to Program Year 2017 requirements. Please check this webpage for the most up-to-date information.
How to attest?
The District has continued its partnership with eHealthDC, a DC Primary Care Association program, to provide free technical assistance to District Medicaid providers. eHealthDC leads a multi-year technical assistance program intended to:
- Assist staff and providers with better utilization of EHRs in accordance with the current practice workflows and program requirements
- Provide exceptional Meaningful Use technical and on-site support to improve in weak performance areas to meet MU requirements
All eligible District providers interested in taking advantage of eHealthDC’s free support should contact eHealthDC staff directly at [email protected] or call 202-552-2331. Please visit their website for more information.
Below are some important tips you need to know about meeting EHR Incentive Programs requirements in PY2017:
- Beginning in PY 2017, EPs participating in the program must have attested in previous years.
- All EPs must attest to all 10 MU objectives. Attesting to AIU is no longer an option.
- EPs have the option to attest to Stage 2 or Stage 3 MU objectives. Beginning in PY 2019, Stage 3 will be required of all EPs.
- EPs who wish to attest to Stage 3 objectives must use Certified EHR Technology (CEHRT) that is certified to the 2015 Edition or a combination of 2014/2015 Edition CEHRT.
- There are 10 MU objectives for Stage 2, and 8 MU objectives for Stage 3.
- All EPs may select an EHR Reporting Period of any continuous 90-day period from January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2017.
- All EPs may select a Clinical Quality Measures (CQM) Reporting Period of any continuous 90-day period from January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2017.
- EPs must conduct their Security Risk Assessment during Calendar Year 2017.
If you need assistance with DHCF's Medicaid EHR Incentive Program (MEIP), please contact:
|MEIP||Eduarda Koch||[email protected]||(202) 673-3561|
- CMS eHealth University
- EHR Incentive Program Registration, Attestation & PECOS Checklist
- How to Implement EHRs
- Meaningful Use 2015-2017 Modifications & Stage 3 Final Rules
- EHR Incentive Programs: 2015 through 2017 (Modified Stage 2) Overview